Melbourne Athletic Club Policies
The membership policies and club rules, including rules listed here as well as rules posted within the facility, are designed to ensure both the safety and enjoyment of all members. A general code of proper conduct that respects the rights of others to enjoy the facility is expected and appreciated. The Melbourne Athletic Club may, in its sole discretion, modify the policies and rules without notice, at any time. It is your responsibility to know and follow the most current policies and rules of the MAC.
- Taking photos or filming of others is not permitted without their prior knowledge and consent, and, under no circumstances, is an photography or filming permitted within the KidZone, locker room, or steam room.
- All members and guests are to check in at the front desk by scanning their key tag and/or checking in with a front desk associate.
- All members and guests must sign a Liability Waiver prior to using the MAC facility, which encompasses Physical Capacity, Assumption of Risk, and Release of Liability.
- Proper athletic attire must be worn while using the exercise equipment, specifically shirts and athletic shoes. Open toed shoes are not permitted.
- Alcohol, drugs, and smoking (including e-cigarettes) are prohibited on the premises.
- Tobacco, food, chewing gum, glass bottles, and cans are not allowed in exercise areas of the facility. Please use plastic containers and feel free to refill at our environmentally friendly water fountain.
- The MAC is pleased to provide both hand towels and shower towels to our members. Please place used towels in bins which are provided throughout the gym.
- It is recommended for safety reasons that, before using the steam room at the MAC, members and guests check with a physician. Please allow yourself at least 5 minutes after exercising to cool down before using the steam room. It is recommended to limit yourself to a maximum of 15 minutes of exposure, for safety reasons. Please do not tamper with steam room controls and do not leave steam room running when not occupied.
- As a courtesy to fellow gym members, please refrain from foul language and inappropriate behavior which might disrupt or interfere with a member’s enjoyment of the MAC.
- Please replace weights on the racks and wipe off benches and cardio equipment after use.
- Please report any facility related injury to a staff member right away.
- Do not leave valuables in lockers at any time.
- Minors under the age of 12 are not permitted on the gym floor. Minors age 12 to 14 are to be supervised on the gym floor by a parent or guardian.
- No member may train another member for compensation. If the MAC determines that such activity occurs within the facility, the membership of both parties may be revoked.
- The MAC reserves the right to revoke any membership at any time for conduct contrary to the best interest of the facility and its members.
General Group Exercise Program Guidelines and Policies
- Engaging in any form of physical activity carries an increased risk of experiencing an event such as rapid heartbeat, dizziness, and in rare instances stroke, sudden cardiac event or even death.
- If you have any health condition that would compromise your ability to participate in exercise, please see a fitness professional before participating.
- We ask that all participants attending group exercise classes be in the classroom and in position to begin the class at the starting time identified on the class schedule. Participants who are late to class should warm up prior to entering the class and move to the back of the class, so as not to disturb the other participants. Certain classes will be limited to no entrance after the start of the class time.
- The instructor is there to provide instruction, motivation, and most importantly, to provide a safe environment for exercising. We ask that during the class you please listen to the instructor and abide by their instructions and council.
- If you are new to a specific class, please inform the instructor so they may help you with set-up for the class.
- If for any reason you experience difficulty during class, such as dizziness, shortness of breath, experience an injury, feel faint, etc., please cease exercising and let the instructor know of your difficulties. They will assist you in receiving the appropriate attention, including, if necessary, initiating the facility’s emergency response system.
- In the event of a sudden cardiac event, the club has an AED.
- The club reserves the right to cancel any classes.
- Cell phones are not allowed in the classroom.
- Cursing and inappropriate language are not allowed.